Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Morning Star - Pine

Nippon Kodo | Catalog&Online Shop

Morningstar is a "basic"(aka. cheapest) line from Nipponkodo. My living room smells like a bathroom in Chinatown...which happens to be where I bought it. Not the bathroom, but Chinatown. Well, not Chinatown, but Clement street, which is sort of a second Chinatown in San Francisco. Unless, Irving street past 19th avenue is the second Chinatown, in which case Clement would be the third Chinatown in San Francisco. The main point, of course, being that the incense smells like a bathroom and not that the bathroom is in Chinatown.

I bought several Morningstar 50 stick boxes from this place on Clement and 4th or 5th, called Tokyo...something. Got myself a Pine, Yuzo, Vanilla, Lavender, Musk, Rose and Cinnamon. They were $1.89 each - a $1 cheaper than at most other places, which made it way to easy to follow the impulse. I tried Yuzo, didn't like it, but didn't feel like writing about it right then and there. With this Pine(sol?) flavor, Morningstar line is 0 for 2, as far as I can tell. I am really not looking forward to trying these and others from this line again, even though I have to in the spirit of learning.

I give it 1.5 stars and not zero because this line has contributed to making the world a better place one Chinatown bathroom at a time. Maybe I'll try these outside...

*ingredients: not listed to avoid shame*
*1.5*

3 comments:

  1. Such a nice article. thanks for sharing this. Get more details about flora Incense Sticks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unfortunate you didn't like morningstar. They are considered good for the cost, but there are definitely better incense sticks out there. They're made by Nippon Kodo who has an incense crafting heritage dating back over 400 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Star incense is definitely Nippon Kodo's budget incense. They definitely use synthetic fragrances, but overall I find most of the scents to be enjoyable. If you're looking for authentic Japanese incense, I would recommend more traditional Japanese incense manufacturers such as Gyokushodo or Yamadamatsu over Nippon Kodo. You can check out some reviews I've done on their incense sticks on the blog section of my website Reed's Handmade Incense.

    ReplyDelete